9:00am Club Safety Session (9:30 start)
March 25 @ 9:00 am - 11:30 am
|Recurring Event (See all)
An event every day that begins at 9:00 am, repeating until March 26, 2023
You will be getting wet so please wear swimmers or clothes you are willing to get fully wet. Also bring a towel and dry clothes to change into.
On-land will be a CPR and Defibrillator training session conducted by an experienced surf Life Saving trainer. The training will not result in a formal certificate of any type. However, it will include all the content that would normally be demonstrated in a certified course.
On-water will be a very practical session involving the following.
- Paddling to the sandbar then all crew exit the boat.
- Sea anchor deployed to keep boat as stationary as possible.
- Boat moved off sandbar just out of standing depth
- Boat rolled over
- Crew gather around the boat and simulate a post-rollover count off and check for injuries
- Simulated contact with Marine Rescue
- Individuals without PFDs encouraged to duck into the underneath of the rolled over boat and back out again
- Demonstration of how to release a person underneath who is wearing a PFD
- Rolling the boat back upright
- Crew progressively re-entering and bailing the boat
- Individuals encouraged to attempt re-entering the boat using the re-entry rope step
- Boat back to sandbar and all crew back on board
- Return to the boat ramp –change into dry clothes