Dee Potter and Fleur Wilson, are endorsed Member Protection Information Officers (MPIO) for the Camden Haven Dragon Boat Club.
MPIO – SO WHAT IS THAT?
Sounds a bit formal doesn’t it? but it’s not:
An MPIO is a member of any sporting club, who has volunteered to undertake this role. An MPIO must complete on line and face to face (zoom in our new world) courses facilitated through Sports Integrity Australia’s, Fair Play/Play by the Rules Project.
An MPIO provides a CONFIDENTIAL avenue for club members to raise concerns and/or complaints related to the club, and in turn the MPIO can assist with providing information and support, to the members as to how they can resolve or manage the issue of concern.
WHAT AN MPIO CAN DO:
- Listen to the complainant’s concerns, without judgement and in a confidential environment (unless there is a risk of serious harm to a minor.)
- Provide information in regard to complaint resolution processes and options available to the complainant.
- Support the complainant in the decisions they have made in regard to obtaining resolution of their issue.
- Reassure complainant they have a right to speak up regarding any concerns and will not be bullied or harassed for doing so.
- Explain issues of confidentiality and advise of any conflict of interest the MPIO may have.
- Follow up with the complainant and check they are supported.
WHAT AN MPIO DOES NOT DO:
- An MPIO is not a complaints resolution handler.
- Does not offer counselling.
- Will not tell a member what to do, rather would offer possible solutions available.
- Cannot intervene on a member’s behalf, however, can offer support and help decide progression.
- Dragon Boats NSW has recently joined the National Integrity Framework (NIF) who support clubs, offer independent complaints management and assist DBNSW development of MPIO policies.
We hope this brief overview has assisted with your understanding of the MPIO’s role. If you would like a bit more information, just come up as say hi!! Dee has worked as a Probation and Parole officer for many years, and Fleur previously worked as a Psychiatric Nurse and as a Probation and Parole Officer for 25 plus years