Original document date: 30/09/2015
This version: Version 1 Version date: 30/09/2015
Reviewed: 23/04/2018 Next due for review: 30/04/2019
To ensure the safety of members in the event of a boat incident during training.
Camden Haven Dragon Boats Inc. is committed to ensuring the safety of members at all times. In the event of an on-water incident, communication with Marine Rescue Camden Haven is essential.
The Committee is responsible for ensuring this procedure is readily accessible by all members and included in the induction of every new Club endorsed coach and sweep.
Sweeps and coaches are responsible for ensuring they adhere to this policy and follow the associated procedure.
Every time a Camden Haven Dragons Inc boat goes on the water for a training session, the sweep must contact Marine Rescue Camden Haven with information as outlined in the associated procedure.
The Club shall nominate an emergency contact person who will liaise with Marine Rescue Camden Haven as outlined in the associated procedure.
- Before a boat goes on the water for a training session, the sweep must contact Marine Rescue Camden Haven by radio with the following information.
- Number of persons on board (including sweep and coach)
- Direction and extent of travel
- Expected time of return to the boat ramp
- The radio must be left “ON” and at high enough volume throughout the training session so the sweep can hear any call from Marine Rescue.
- When a boat returns to the boat ramp from a training session the sweep must contact Marine Rescue Camden Haven by radio confirming that the boat and all persons on board have arrived on shore safely.
- In the event that a boat does not make radio contact at the expected time of return,
- Marine Rescue Camden Haven will attempt to contact the boat by radio.
- If they are unable to make contact, Marine Rescue will then phone the Club emergency contact person.
- The Club emergency contact person will attempt to contact the sweep and/or coach rostered for that run by mobile phone.
- If the Club emergency contact person is unable to make contact with the sweep and/or coach, they will ask Marine Rescue Camden Haven to initiate a search and will notify all Committee members of the situation.
- Twice annually the Club emergency contact person will arrange to conduct a radio check with Marine Rescue Camden Haven to establish the effectiveness of radio communication at various locations within the area the Club conducts training runs.
- If there are any radio “black spots”, those will be notified to all sweeps and coaches who will ensure the boat avoids those areas.
To download this document, click here.