Original document date: 31/08/2015
This version: Version 1 Version date: 31/08/2015
Reviewed: 23/04/2018 Next due for review: 30/04/2019
To ensure the safety of members through effective training and endorsement of coaches and sweeps
Camden Haven Dragon Boat Club is committed to ensuring the safety of members at all times. An important aspect of safety is the skill and knowledge of the coaches and sweeps.
A person who has accreditation as a coach or sweep must be recommended by the coach/sweep team then endorsed by the Committee before being able to take on that role for the Club.
The Committee is responsible for ensuring this policy and associated procedure is readily accessible by all members.
The coach/sweep team is responsible for regularly reviewing this policy and associated procedure and recommending to the Committee amendments as required.
No person may take the role of coach or sweep in a Camden Haven DBC boat unless endorsed for that role by the Committee as per this procedure.
Members who undertake training as a coach or sweep are not guaranteed to be endorsed in that role by the Committee.
Members transferring from another Club to Camden Haven DBC and who are already an accredited coach and/or sweep are not guaranteed to be endorsed in that role by the Committee.
Committee – the elected Committee of the Camden Haven Dragons Inc
Coach/Sweep team – the endorsed coaches and sweeps of Camden Haven Dragons Inc
Trainee – a Camden Haven Dragons Inc member who is in training as either a coach or sweep
For a trainee to be endorsed by the Club the following must occur.
- The trainee coach/sweep must have completed their training as per the Club Coach or Sweep Training Procedure.
- Trainee coaches must have successfully completed and received their certificate for the AusDBF L1 Coaching Course and have a current First Aid certificate.
- Trainee sweeps must have successfully completed and received their DBNSW L2 sweep accreditation as a minimum requirement.
- After completing points i and ii (for coaches) or i and iii (for sweeps) a trainee can seek endorsement by the Committee
For a person transferring in from another Club to be endorsed the following must occur.
- Coach applicants must have successfully completed and received their certificate for the AusDBF L1 Coaching Course and have a current First Aid certificate.
- Sweep applicants must have successfully completed and received their DBNSW L2 sweep accreditation as a minimum requirement.
- If either point (v) or (vi) has been met, the applicant can seek endorsement by the Committee
- The member may apply for endorsement by sending a message to the Committee via the Secretary.
- The Committee shall consult with the Coach/Sweep team asking them to consider the application taking into account the number of coaches or sweeps currently endorsed by the Club as well as the currency of the member’s accreditation, their experience, their safety record and compatibility with the Club.
- The Coach/Sweep team shall have an open discussion among themselves and if necessary, conduct a secret ballot to either recommend or not recommend the applicant. The outcome of that vote is to be conveyed to the Committee.
- The Committee, keeping in mind the outcome of the Coach/Sweep vote, shall make the decision whether to endorse the applicant as a coach or sweep for the Club.
- Once endorsed, the coach must make a commitment to actively participate in the coaching team by regularly attending coach/sweep meetings, assist in developing training plans and coaching training runs as required.
- Once endorsed, the sweep must make a commitment to actively participate in the sweeping team by regularly attending coach/sweep meetings and maintaining their sweeping hours required to keep accreditation.
- Once endorsed, the coach or sweep remains so until they withdraw from the Coach/Sweep team, or have their endorsement revoked by the Committee.
- Withdrawal from the Coach/Sweep team must be in writing or in the minutes of a Coach/Sweep meeting.
Coaches or sweeps who withdraw from the Coach/Sweep team must seek re-endorsement before they can return to that role.
To download this document, click here.